Sunday 18 December 2011

Richardson: "The pressure is on Barney"


JAMES Richardson will have a debut to remember at this year’s PDC World Darts Championships at the Alexandra Palace.
The bricklayer from Rushden, Northamptonshire will face Dutchman Raymond Van Barneveld in his first television appearance.
Despite the occasion, Richardson doesn’t want to dwell on it too much.
“I’ve just got to get up there and get on with it,” he said.
Richardson, also known as ‘Ruthless’, watched the draw on Sky Sports at the Hungry Horse pub in Northampton.
“I just couldn’t believe it,” he said.
Five times World Darts Champion Van Barneveld has struggled to settle, since his move from the BDO in 2006. However, the 46 year-old will be looking to recapture his form following the disappointment at the recent Grand Slam of Darts in Wolverhampton.
Richardson believes that this is an ideal opportunity to produce an upset at the greatest event of the darts calendar.
“I’m on brilliant form at the minute and I’ve got nothing to lose.
 “I just want to go up there and show him what I can do.
 “The pressure is on Barney. If I can get up there and hit him hard in the opening set, it will definitely get him thinking.”
Richardson, who is ranked at 85 in the world, only joined the PDC circuit earlier this year, after success at the PDC Tour Card Qualifying School in January.
“This last year has been one hell of a dream. I never thought I would get to the World Championships,” he said.
PDC Tour events take place most weekends throughout the year, with Richardson reaching his first final in October.
“I had a good run in Germany which gave me a massive boost. Everything just clicked into place and I was beating all these top seeds.”
37 year-old Richardson is hoping to become a full-time darts player within the next couple of years.
“I did think I would make it as a professional one day.
“I used to watch the BDO Lakeside tournaments and try to beat the player’s score.
“It’s silly really, but I used to love doing it.”
At 500/1, Richardson is certainly an underdog for the title, however believes there could be a number of upsets in the opening games at the ‘Ally Pally’.
“I think that Nigel Heydon has a great chance in beating Adrian Lewis.
“Nigel has beaten him several times on the tour this year, but viewers won’t be expecting him to win.”
Similar to Van Barneveld, Lewis has struggled with his form since his victory at the Alexandra Palace last year.
Phil Taylor is once again the favourite to add to his 15 World-titles, and Richardson agrees with the bookmakers suggestions.
“You would be foolish to look past Phil winning it again. His scoring this year has been unbelievable.
“If all goes to plan, I will meet him in the quarter finals, but I will just be taking each game as it comes.”
Richardson faces Van Barneveld on Sunday December 18 at around 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment